I am so excited to share this recipe with you!! When I was creating it I deeply felt a sense of being an artist (I do work in many different mediums). This time lasagna noodles were my canvas. A truly magical experience!
I love lasagna. It is one of my favorite dishes in Italian cuisine. It is so flavorful, juicy in the middle, and crunchy on the top. My recipe is very light, yet it has all those qualities that we like in lasagna. The noodles are soft, the sauce is flavorful, and zucchini and spinach create this wonderful play of textures. This is where we get to put to use the amazing Vegan bechamel sauce that I've shared with you in the previous post. This recipe also uses freshly made cashew cheese. It does take time and a little extra effort. Trust me, it will be worth it!
Here is how to make this delicious lasagna.
- 4 medium zucchinis
- 2 lbs spinach
- 1 sweet Italian onion
- 1 package no-boil lasagna noodles
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- sea salt to taste
- 1 cup raw cashews (soaked overnight or at least for 6 hours)
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1 garlic clove
- 1/2 cup filtered water
Bechamel sauce recipe could be found here.
1.In a large pot on a medium heat saute chopped onion with olive oil for about 2 minutes. Add washed spinach, salt and then cover the pot with a lid. Spinach will start wilting, mix it up, saute for another minute or 2 then turn the heat off. Set cooked spinach in a colander to get rid of excess liquid.
2. Cut zucchinis in 1/4 inch thick slabs, use mandolin or just a sharp knife. Cook on a medium heat in a large pan with olive oil. About 3 min on each side. Zucchinis should get a golden brown crisp, and become softer, but not too soft. Do not over cook! Set them aside when done.
3. In a large food processor blend together all the cheese ingredients. Do nut put all the water in at once. Put a half, blend, then see if you need to add more. It should be a consistency of a light whipped cream cheese.
4. Prepare your bechamel sauce.
5. Preheat oven to 350F.
6. Now we are ready to do the assembly! Get your lasagna pan (any square baking dish would do with high sides), oil the bottom of the pan. Place noodles on the bottom, overlapping them a little. Then create a layer of zucchinis, bechamel sauce on top.
Then noodles again, bechamel sauce, layer of spinach, cashew cheese.
Continue repeating layers until you run out of ingredients. Make sure each layer has bechamel sauce. You want your noodles to be moist with the sauce. The last, top, layer would be the noodles and the sauce.
7. Now here is a trick that I've learned: let the assembled lasagna sit for at least an hour. This would make the noodles soak up some liquids.
*You can also do all of these steps the day before you will be serving lasagna. Even better! It will have a whole night to stay in the fridge and soak up all the flavors for a little longer.
8. Bake for 30 minutes covered with foil. And then another 15-20 minutes uncovered. Test lasagna with a knife to ensure that the noodles are soft.
9. Voila! Enjoy your delicious spinach and zucchini lasagna! :)